Sunday, January 30, 2011

Football Party Food; part 1

Some of my favorite things are hors d'oeuvres or heavy appetizers because you get to taste a lot of different things. With the Super Bowl coming up next Sunday, a lot of people will be planning a menu to feed a crowd.  Heavy appetizers are perfect for an occasion like this.  All week, I'll be sharing some of my favorite "football party foods" with you to help you plan your menus or at least what you'll be taking to the party! The one I'm going to share with you today is a good one to prepare in advance and then pop under the broiler at halftime.


Tomato, Basil and Mozzarella Bruschetta

1 French Baguette, sliced on the diagonal to 1" thickness
2 cups diced roma tomatoes
1 cup packed fresh basil
1 8-ounce package fresh mozzarella, sliced to 1/4" thickness
3 cloves garlic, whole, peeled
1 t. olive oil

Pre-heat your broiler on high.

Put tomatoes, basil, 2 cloves garlic and 1 t. olive oil in a food processor.  Pulse until mostly smooth.  A few chunks are good.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Line up baguette slices on a baking sheet and put under the broiler until lightly toasted.  Do not walk away at this point, as this could only talk a matter of seconds.  Take the little toasts out of the oven.  Rub the remaining garlic clove over each slice of toast, only about 3 times.  Top each toast with a slice of mozzarella cheese  and place back under the broiler until melted and bubbly.

Remove from oven and top each slice with 1 tablespoon of the tomato topping.

To make ahead: Make the tomato topping, slice the mozzarella, and make the toasts up until you top them with the cheese.  Refrigerate until ready to assemble.

2 comments:

  1. Here's a challenge for you.......give me a Super Bowl recipe that is awesome and EASY/SIMPLE. I want something new...but I don't want to work so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked this dish, and I'm excited for the superbowl snacks that I'm sure you'll make!

    ReplyDelete