Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Garbage Pasta

Sometimes there are times when I just haven't had time to go the store and have no idea what I'm going to make for dinner.  Those times are when I make garbage.  These dishes are combinations of what leftovers I've got in the fridge, freezer and pantry.  Garbage can be in the form of salads, pastas, omelets, or even soups.  I've been traveling a lot for work and haven't had time to do a lot of shopping, but I wanted to make a dish that I could take with me and reheat at work for dinner tonight, so I made Garbage Pasta.


I cooked half a box of rotini I had in my pantry, and cut up half a jar of roasted red peppers (also a stable in my pantry) and a quarter of a package of cocktail sausages that I had in my freezer.  Once the pasta was cooked, I drained it but reserved about half a cup of the starchy water.  I tossed in a couple of cubes of frozen pesto I always keep in my freezer along with the pasta water, peppers and sausage and stirred until the pesto had thawed.  I also added in a pinch of crushed red pepper and about half a teaspoon of crushed garlic, again, always in my fridge.  And that's it!  

My garbage recipes are always a little different each time I make them, and honestly, they don't always turn out to be blog-worthy, but it's always exciting to try something new.  This one turned out pretty good.  It'll be nice to eat something homemade for dinner tonight, instead of something from the drive-through!

No comments:

Post a Comment